Hiking the :foot: Hills for Haiti!

You may or may not recall that this blog was originally started after a hike. I spent a lot of time thinking while on the trail one day and decided I wanted to start back a blog to have a place to record life events, and a place to jot down my thoughts. Little did I realize how much life would be changing and in turn how my blog would transform into a home improvement blog. Well today my blog is taking another turn: back to the trail. Don't fret, the home improvement posts will continue, but today--- im talking about hiking.


A few months ago I was approached to go on a bike ride across North Carolina to raise funds for Haiti. How fun and exciting. Sign me up! That was my initial thinking, and then I began researching and really looking into a week long bike ride across the state. I am fully confident it is something I could do. I can do anything. BUT the amount of money I would need to get the necessary equipment for something I may never do again--- seemed silly. I could have rented gear-- but again. A lot of cost, for a fundraiser. Also the cost of the ride plus food for the trip--- it just all adds up.

While in Haiti I kept thinking about the ride and how I really wanted to do something to raise a large amount of money. The doctors we work with are currently trying to purchase a piece of property on the main highway so they can build a new free standing clinic--- and own it. Their current fixed clinic is tucked away in a town and is something they rent. Having their own clinic would be HUGE!

I kept asking myself how can I raise money and help build this clinic?

and then I passed a billboard for the “ultimate hike
It is a fundraiser on the FootHills Trail that hikers hike a marathon in one day to raise money. (Its an awesome thing! You should check it out!!)
When I looked into this fundraiser it hit me. THATS WHAT I SHOULD DO.
I love backpacking and hiking. I have all necessary equipment. I could do it without taking vacation time off of work. This makes sense.

So I talked to Ryan. He has hiked a lot of the Foothills trail already. He would LOVE to do this. and then I talked to Lauren. My adventure loving, backpacking bestie who killed the Art Loeb alongside me and who has been talking with me about what we are going to do this year… of course she is down.
Today I had a meeting with my boss and I had her convinced at the mention of funds for haiti! She thinks this is a great idea as well--- especially since--- hello! no time off of work!


SO. there you have it. The background story of me hiking for Haiti…

Now here is the plan.

Lauren and I are 99.9% setting out on August 14, 2014 to hike the Foothills trail. It is a 77 mile trail that goes through South Carolina & North Carolina and skirts the Georgia line. You climb the highest mountain in South Carolina, walk beside numerous rivers, travel over many bridges, walk around a few huge lakes and see amazing waterfalls. You also cross numerous roads and parking lots--- which is where my mom comes into play. She is hoping to be around to load us up with food and goodies along the way so we don’t have to carry 6 days worth of gear on our back. Ryan is doing some but hopefully all of the trail with us as well. We aren't really sure what his school schedule is going to look like so he can’t commit to six days yet. Hopefully he will be able to make it work… we really want to do this adventure together!
It also happens to be our FIFTH wedding anniversary weekend ::how did 5 years happen!??::

Here is my first 'logo' for the trip... nice huh!?



This is going to be another adventure of a lifetime to add to our growing list. But this time I am going to make it about more. I am going to ask for sponsors (YOU!) to sponsor this hike and help me raise money to build a clinic in Haiti. I was thinking it through and for some reason 10,000$ sounded like a great idea. I mean who the hell raises 10,000$ in 2 months…no one. I know. I figure I will give it a try anyway! I am going to develop a few sponsor levels and ask people to sponsor my miles. All donations will be tax-deductible and will go toward the clinic we are trying to build in Haiti.
Something like this:


.10/mile= 7.70$
1$/mile = 77$
10$/mile= 770$
(Granted any and all donations are great!)

There will also be t-shirts involved. I’ll figure out more about that too…. anyone out there own a t-shirt shop?


And maybe there will be a day hike involved for anyone who wants to join us on the Saturday we will be gone. We can probably plan to be at a place to meet up with day hikers.

Obviously a lot more information will be coming soon… but I wanted to get it out there. Share my news. My excitement. My lofty goals. And start raising some money! (Okay, don’t actually send money yet. I need to get my company’s website to add my fundraiser to the list. But start saving!)



/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

If you haven't seen it yet, this is an 11 minute documentary on our work in Haiti. The same patients the same children, the same places, this is where I go and what I do in Haiti. Enjoy.





Here is my company's website on Haiti: http://www.urgentcares.org/en/haiti.php

Comments

Popular Posts