how to replace a vanity... because I know how and all

Yes. We are back to the homeowner stuff. Don't worry. I'll be asking for your cash money soon. We are working on getting my donation page up and running. In the mean time I started training for my hike.... and by training I went to the gym yesterday and did a 15minute work out. Then my shoulder hurt- so I called it a day. Good start. 

Okay. back to the reason you are actually here.... how to replace a vanity. 
If you really want to know how google: this old house, how to replace a vanity. And then proceed to watch the 10 minute video. For us--- it really was that simple. It may not be for you. The following is not exactly high quality instructions, so don't sue me when your house floods. 

Let's Go.

Our vanity  sink before.
Clearly this sink is the most practical use of space... and the faucet. Its to die for. 


Step one. remove it. This may require unscrewing some screws. Cutting some caulk. And then unscrewing the pipes. 

OH WAIT. The real step one... CUT OFF THE WATER! 

Ok. back to step one b) unscrew the pipes. *you have one for hot water, one for cold, and then the J pipe and one that goes out and away. (very technical)
 They all actually twist off surprisingly easy.
 If you are like us, you are going to need a bucket for the spillage. 
Actually if you are like us- you will have the bucket, but all the spillage will miss said bucket, and go all over the floor. 
 Whatever. It looks nice in the photo.

 You may want towels close by... they were useful when the aforementioned bucket proved useless. 
So then some more stuff happens, like you mop up the floor and clean it and then you move the new vanity in place. 

Now for some tricky fun stuff. You screw back together the pipes. This time its tricky because the new sink sits lower and further out so the pipes had to be adjusted for that. 



I really enjoyed tinkering down there. It was a fun puzzle to solve. I had to pull out the pipe from the wall and lower the pipe from the sink. It was a game... and I won.

ESSENTIAL KEY. Make sure each connecting has the plastic O ring in place. essential so they say.





So I am sure you should use plumbers putty on all of the seams, (hm. not sewing... but whatev. its a seam) so far there was SO MUCH leftover still putty like on the pipes that we didn't use  have any to use. So we tested our first go round with a bucket to look for leaks. I figured if we had/have issues we will start with more putty.  So step 5) (are we at step 5? I lost count) turn the water back on after fully securing the water.

OH IMPORTANT TO NOTE... I had NO clue about this, but my smart hubby did! Make sure the faucets are the way you want them before you turn the water back on. We wanted them toward the back, so you pull them forward to turn on. So before you turn on the water, push them to the back!

OK. Now. Turn on water. Have bucket ready looking for leaks.



and BOOM! NO LEAKS! (Ok, I took this picture later because I was literally holding the bucket underneath while testing water, so I couldn't take a photo) 

We have a BEAUTIFUL NEW VANITY! BOOOM. 
Thank you Craigslist and the sweet awesome lady we bought this from. 

Finally. Hug your husband... and take a selfie. 


I'm CRAZYYYYY about our new bathroom. Its like totally brand spankin' new. 
and beautiful. 
Like a spa..... 



Now to search Pinterest for bathroom decor... because the Tampon box just isn't cutting it.

Comments

  1. bahah. you crack me up. well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of the funniest things you have ever written...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was there wine involved during the typing of this post?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts