coming home

Being back home after such a trip has its ups and downs. Ryan picking me up with a big smile and a hug and watching our dogs run around like crazy--- definitely a reason to come home. My little family may be little--- and lack in children--- but its still our family, and its still so good.
Laying in my pj's and watching 4 hours of Scandal (don't judge me) with my hubby on Sunday... that is the perfect thing to come home to. Just snuggling with Ryan and telling him every detail of the trip. Yes. That's what I love about being home. 
Going back to work in a medical clinic where people whine and complain if you don't give them what they want--- even if what they want is not what they NEED--- yeah that's the part that is hard. 
I was just telling my boss that I would much rather be on a mountain in Haiti, pouring sweat and hungry; loving on children and seeing patients than be here, in this beautiful, air conditioned clinic. (Wow that was a poorly written sentence. Oh well).  

For some reason the 'culture shock' is harder this time. For some reason a part of me stayed in Haiti... a big part of me. Maybe it was the miracle of birth. Maybe it was the memories of children singing and laughing. Maybe it was the sick people who genuinely touched my heart. I don't know- but for some reason I am missing Haiti. I know that in no time I'll be back in the swing of things. But I don't want to forget those smiles. The laughter. The hugs. I don't want to forget the sweat and smell of bugspray. The cold showers and the rice & beans. I love Haiti. I love being there. There is something about it that makes me feel alive. 
So now, I will search for ways to love more here at home. Love my patients more. Care for them in better ways. Listen to their needs. Try and be a better provider. Try to have more empathy. Try to love better. Its hard though.... but its the only way. 

Off to love on some patients. 

PS--- I will update the blog soon with home reno projects! We have new hard wood floors! Our kitchen tile is being painted tomorrow and we are doing some major yard work this weekend. 
Countdown to moving in: 3 weeks 2 days! 
GETTING CLOSE! 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts