Mountains and babies.



This morning we ventured to the mountaintop. Tapyo. A beautiful rural village on top of a mountain. The air was crisp and a wonderful breeze blew through the trees. The brightest blue sky was overhead. It was simply perfect. I had forgotten how much I loved this clinic. Since the last time I was here... Only 6 months ago- a pavilion was built by a group from Indiana. Before we threw down a tarp and did clinic  out under the shade tree, but now a beautiful space with a roof is there. 

The children in this village are very malnourished. Babies lay listless in their mothers arms. Children have the potbelly that occurs when they are underfed. Some kids have shoes, others have shoes with holes that barely fit. It is a very poor place.

The kids here are also much sicker. This one baby's lungs sounded awful. He was so little and had a horrible cough. The poor child would certainly spend a night in a hospital back home... But here a shot of rocephin and vitamins are all that you do. 
we gave all the patients here a toothbrush, rice, and clothes along with medications and vitamins. 

The drive down is crazy. It's a very steep gravel road, but has the most spectacular view. From the mountains to the sea. It's glorious. 


::::: the following is a bit more graphic and the picture may be a little graphic for you. There is nothing cery personal. But if you don't know how babies come into the world you may not want to keep reading::::

Once we got back to the clinic we were planning on gathering our things and head out for an afternoon of "fire training" by fireman Paul. Dr vlad informed us we may have a baby in the clinic this afternoon but one of the doctors can stay back while we go on. Ok. Let me rewind/fast forward/recap. I've always wanted to deliver a baby. I was nevwr working during deliveries in the ER. And during my maternity rotation I sat in and helped on one. When I was in nursing school I had an internship on an ob floor and assisted in lots of deliveries. But I have never caught the baby. In the clinic I work in at home in Asheville it's possible I could have to deliver a baby.... So with that excuse and the "need" for me to have the experience... I weaseled my way into delivering the baby. 
But back to the story. We had been at the clinic almost an hour when I asked dr v how the patient was doing. He said--- oh my. She is outside we need to check her again! (Hhahhaa)  She was only 6cms before so he wasn't worried too much.... 
He goes to get the patient and I set up the delivery room. Lucky for me we were here during a delivery last time so I knew the set up. Basically pull out the stirrups and grab some towels. 
We got the patient who was very much in labor up on the table and Dr v explained to me what it would feel like to measure her dilation and so I did just that. He thought It would be several centimeters. Now granted I didn't know what it would feel like but I was pretty damn sure I was feeling the entire head. 
He checked. And yes. Head. All of it. Coming out pronto. 
She pushed a couple times and the water broke. Then after one more push there was a baby in my arms. We'll in mine and dr v's arms. He kinda scooped her up quickly and proceeded to hold the baby upside down. Not what we do at home. But what they do here. So we went with it. I clamped the cord. Cut it. And passed baby off to pirate Paul. 
It felt like 10mins went by before the baby started to cry, but it did. Finally. And was the most alert baby I have seen after that. Staring at everyone. Looking all around. She had the biggest lips too. So sweet. 
We tried to get mama to name her Patrice Danielle (after me and Patrick) but I don't think mom went for it :) 
It was such an exhilarating experience. Maybe in the future I'll be a midwife. I've got a few more "careers" ahead of me I'm sure. 

Anyway. It was awesome to be a part of such a miracle. I had such a great time and look forward to doing it again!!

Now it's time to overload the blog with pictures.... Enjoy :)
Proof! Look how calm and collected I am. Mom...not so much. 

One hour post delivery me, mom and baby!!! This was her leaving the clinic!! She was probably in the clinic for a total of 3 hours if that... And most of it she was outside walking before. She got an iv of fluids, a shot of something equivalent to ibuprofen and a shot of antibiotics. Her cost was approximately 125$ !! Which is a lot of money here... But still. In the states. 125$ doesn't even get you in the door. 

Such a crazy experience. One I will never forget!











Comments

  1. Oh my goodness. This is incredible. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts