how to update a closet... because I know how to do that too

After my rave reviews of my previous post I thought I would share with you on how to update a closet. ((Ok. You are right. I didn't get rave reviews. But I got 3 comments and that equals rave reviews))  Its not gonna be as funny as last night. Something came over me last night... and no it wasn't alcohol. Oh well. Enjoy anyway. 
 So- 
I guess they just didn't wear much clothing in the 50's?!? How did an entire family share two closets that are 4 feet wide. Well one is 4 feet wide, the other 3 feet. 
HOW I ask you!? 
*this is the closet. the whole thing. there is nothing behind the wall. this is IT in our "master" bedroom*

In order to make our closets workable we had to do something. There is not a good closet organizer for a 4 foot wide closet. I purchased this beautiful piece that says it fits closets 4feet to 9 feet wide... perfect. 
So I thought. It lied.
 The bars were too long and so we had to make do. 
We Ryan started by putting together the super tall storage shelf. This is going to get some cubbies for my socks and undies and shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. 

So since the bars that came with contraption would not work, we had to be creative. 


We wanted to remove the nice wood piece that the metal bar was screwed into, but no such luck. That thing is nailed in and its been there for 60 years, so its not going anywhere. 

What did we do?!? 
We grabbed some leftover hardwood floor planks! That's what! 


We pre drilled holes in the wood plank then held it up on the wall and marked where it needed to go in to make the existing bar fit up high in the closet. 


Nice & Level. SCORE! 

We started by nailing in the wood plank into the wall to serve as an anchor for the metal bar. 
Next up we just attached the existing bar into its new anchor. 


BOOM! Bar moved up to above the shelf. This will be the perfect height for shirts on one side and dresses on the other. 


So now I wanted to add a third bar for pants/skirts.
Like I said the bar that came with the kit didn't fit--- so I had to buy a smaller one. Lame. 


So this guy I screwed right into the shelf. Ghetto, but it works. 
It works SO WELL. 


Welcome to the practical 21st century little closet.
I now have to fight my husband for you. 


Oh yeah... you like that drawer?!? Me too. Found it at Goodwill. 

How cute are these anchors though... Seriously. 


Hope you had a Happy Tuesday! 
We did. We also packed up most of our kitchen..... Gonna be 10 days of frozen dinners and eating out with friends. Let the real craziness begin! 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

So coming up on the blog.... Ryan is going to have a fun project in the coming days/weeks. 
He will be transforming this 20$ find into a farmhouse table. 
I AM PUMPED. 


Its gonna be awesome. 

Comments

  1. Well i'm glad you have a place to hang your clothes so you don't have to run around naked! That might get awkward. Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they just didn't hang a lot of clothes in the 50s? Like they folded everything in drawers? Our closets suck too. I have a lot of closet lust when I visit people's houses. Good to know I won't have to suffer through that when I visit you! :) But your closet does look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts