simplify

ive recently read several articles regarding facebook.
 
it makes you unhappy. its not fulfilling. it has negative affects on your relationships. it makes you sad. it pulls you away from people. you waste time comparing your life to other peoples "perfect presentation" of their life--- or you feel bad for the people who use facebook as a "throw myself a pity party every day by posting sad stuff" SO. it makes you feel bad about yourself.  it is toxic to your body. and a blog similar to this... it just makes you dumber.
 
im finally sick of it.
its true.
why haven't i read a book in a few months?
why haven't i read/done a Bible study in months?
why can't i sit and relax and enjoy the day?
why do i sit at dinner with my husband with my phone on the table- ready to glance down in an instant? why do i feel the URGE to photograph every meal i eat and post it? really. its a real urge.
why do i check my facebook 37.5 million times a day? why? for what?
 
i really do think it makes you "dumber".
i haven't read or written anything in months.
i think in short sentences. im constantly thinking about impressing other people.
it pulls me a part from people that im currently ENGAGING with.
i constantly want to post the coolest picture. or wittiest status. or share the greatest accomplishment of my day. ew. ew ew ew. i dont like who facebook is making me.

im worried about what facebook is doing to humanity. our society constantly lives in comparison mode. who is looking the coolest. being at the most awesome restaurant. traveling to the most amazing place. saying the wittiest thing. having the cutest, funniest, or smartest kid. and the poor generation after me, they don't know how to spell. or write. or read. or ACTIVELY ENGAGE in a conversation. and gracious knows, they can't keep secrets. every little thing doesn't need to be posted!
 
im over it.
so im changing.
im simplifying life by getting rid of distractions and wasteful gazing into the computer screen looking at pictures of my 3rd cousins dog's best friend.
really?!? what the hell am i doing.
who am i becoming?
 
its time to stop.
 
((i know- i do these same things on instagram, but right now in life, facebook is really getting to me.
hopefully this isn't too hypocrtical of me?!? but instagram seems to me more like looking at a magazine.... with my friend's faces thrown in occassionally. its just pictures. a lot of what i follow is photography and crafting of people i don't know. and i love photography and crafting. and i dont really compare my life to those crafters... i just try and get ideas for my house. what to put on my mantel. and what colors look cute together.  haha.
so yes im still on it, and need to simplify that part of life also, but for now, baby steps people. ))

 
facebook is getting the boot out of  the snider's life.
we need to spend more time actively engaging in each other.
sitting on the couch talking. playing games. watching tv together.
instead of watching tv, playing on my phone and looking at fb on my computer... because yes. that has happened.
 
we need to stop focusing on how happy other people are- or appear to be.
we need to focus on us.
so. here's to simplifying life.
 
goodbye facebook.
at least for a little bit.
 
if you need me... email me. or text me. or comment on my blog. or on instagram.
gracious- there are plenty of ways to get a hold of me at the drop of a hat.


Comments

Popular Posts