100th post! So it's a fun one.

Well by fun I mean--- it was fun for me and Ryan! 
Over the weekend we went on a little weekend getaway, just the two of us. Not even the pups came along this time. We hadn't had a getaway for just us two in quite a while. It was really good. Reallllly good. Its crazy though, we only went an hour and fifteen minutes away, but it felt like we were really far away. (and that was the point)

Our first stop on the adventure was Linville Caverns. It was really awesome and really creepy. Certainly not for the claustrophobic. Ek. It is crazy to think this is what the inside of a mountain looks like though! 




After getting settled into our cabin (that we were so graciously given for the weekend) we hit the trail. We just did 5 miles, but we found a little snow and saw some really cool vistas.


And this ice. Ek!




Our sunset was spectacular from our cabin. I spent a long time just quietly watching the sun set. There is not much better in my opinion.




The next morning we set out to Linville Falls. Another quick little hike to some spectacular views of Linville Gorge and the falls.

(Here is some ice and snow around the river as it whips around these massive boulders)

The Upper Falls



This is where we plopped down for our picnic lunch. Not too shabby a spot for some sunshine and a view!


After our hike we took off on the Parkway and found the coolest bridge EVER! Its the Linville viaduct. Check out that link to see some other spectacular pictures of it. Really--- so cool. And it was a GORGEOUS day. So just perfect.


We finally got to the ski part of our "ski weekend". (I was saving it for last, in case there was an injury)...Okay, actually we saved it because we skied Sunday night and Monday all day for the price of all day Sunday. Really. The savings were crazy. So Sunday night we skied. Ryan so patiently taught me enough to feel very comfortable and to have some fun.


Monday was GLORIOUS! The most beautiful sky and not too many people. Well until it got hot. Yeah 57* is not really ski weather, but whatever.


You can see that mountain and that insanely steep drop. Yeah I didn't go close. Ryan on the other hand... He totally did.


I was proud. I went 3/4 of the way up... and survived coming down. The views were just awesome.
I had a ton of fun.... until I didn't any more. I had a major crash and ran into Ry and knocked him down. I got up and said I'm done. Sadly, I still had half the mountain to get down. I got down. Took off my boots and called it a day.


Yay for fun weekends and time off together and laughter and learning new things.

oh. and 100 posts.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts