"sermon".... or as i like to call it: my talk on haiti

For those of you who missed me give this little talk in church today--- here it is. Just a little reflection on my time in Haiti and what God showed me there. Hopefully the video brings to life, what I share. 

How do you describe an entire week, in just 10 minutes. I could tell you so many stories. Funny ones, like about the time I urinated all over my leg instead of the latrine. I could tell you moving stories about the orphans that sang us the song you heard in the video, to thank us for coming and bringing them clothes. I could tell you heartbreaking stories about the naked children and those who have never had shoes before. I could stop and tell you about each of those children in the video and how they impacted my life. These things would take hours, and I know that noon is coming quick, so I’ll tell you one word that sums everything up. The one thing I learned the most about was, LOVE.
Throughout scripture there are numerous references to loving your neighbor, and caring for the poor. In the old testament we are commanded to love our neighbor as ourself. Other times Jesus tells us simply to love the poor and care of the widow.  Over 30 times in the Hebrew Bible we are commanded to “love the stranger”
Sometimes it is hard to figure out what it means to love the poor. Or love your neighbor as yourself. And really God, I’m supposed to love strangers?!?
Often I wonder--- how. What does that mean to love strangers, and the poor. How do I do that? Matthew 25 really struck a cord with me during my week in Haiti because he is quite clear. Matthew says, “You will inherit the kingdom of God if you feed the hungry, give the thirsty something to drink. Clothe the naked. Care for the sick. Visit prisoners.    This my friends is what love means.
We took 16 suitcases to Haiti full of love sent by this church, along with numerous others from across the U.S. Things like TUMS and Tylenol are lifesavers to the people in Haiti. Vitamins literally save lives. On our very first day we had a malnourished child that needed simple nutrients to get him feeling better. I spoon fed this sweet boy simple pedialyte. Easily accessible to everyone in the States, but it is nearly impossible to find in Haiti.
Each day we set up a clinic in a rural village and provided basic healthcare to the sick, and helped others manage their blood pressure and diabetes. We gave out hundreds of vitamins, and then after the clinic, we distributed clothing to children that were literally naked. Little boys running around without pants. Small children playing on the rubble and in the trash without shoes.  It was a humbling experience and one that I hope I don’t ever forget.
The medical clinic we worked with in Haiti is led by 3 Haitian doctors. Most patients pay only 1 or 2 $ for their visit, including all of the medications they receive. A lot of patients pay nothing. Those 3 doctors are the face of Jesus. They are giving the people of Haiti hope. They sacrifice so much, just to serve their neighbor. They could move to the U.S. or Canada (where, by the way, there are more Haitian doctors, than there are in Haiti) and make lots of money. But no. They choose to love their neighbor. To care for the sick. To clothe the naked. I think I learned more about sacrifice and true Christian love, by looking in their eyes and seeing the face of God.
This is what Christ is asking of us. This is how we love. By sending money and donations you were able to help and bless those in Haiti. But what about the people here?? The Haitian doctors we worked with are being the face of Christ to their neighbors, but what about our neighbors here in Haywood County?
If you want to change the world, or simply your neighborhood, Christ asks us to love. To Care for the sick. Clothe the naked--- or even the cold. Visit the prisoners. Send cards to the sick. Make a quilt. Cook a meal for your neighbor. Donate your coat to the coat drive. This is how to be Jesus.
We must go and do. We must act. Christ commands us to love our neighbor… and by acting on his love toward us, then we can love.
Haiti changed the way I practice medicine, and hopefully the way I live my life. Not only did I learn how to love, but I learned how to listen. The only thing we had in Haiti was talking with the patient and listening. We could not do medical tests like blood work or xrays. We could just listen. I could listen to their heart and lungs and their belly. Then I could listen to what they wanted to tell me. Then, only by listening I could act and treat.

I think God is asking all of us to listen. Perhaps you wonder how you can love your neighbor? What can you do? Stop and listen. Sit and wait. And see what God shows you.
Loving God is truly risky. It requires sacrifice. It requires action.
Ask God how to love, and listen to his response. But get ready, it may require stepping out and doing things you never dreamed.






Comments

  1. I almost made it through without crying... I always get something inspirational from your blog posts and today I decided that since I have had a rough Monday, I would make time to watch this video knowing I would GET something from it that would cheer me up... and I almost made it through without crying... when the singing started it hit me that I was looking to get something from orphans who had nothing to cheer me up from a Monday in an office where my 8-5 desk job was a little less than entertaining!!!!! I could go on but I think you get the idea.... excuse me while I go sign up to volunteer somewhere :) Thanks for the blog it is opening eyes all the way in Wilmington:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video Danielle! Thank you for sharing. I pray you are able to return again :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts