Good Morning from Haiti! Day 4- tent city, 80 PTs

Well this morning will probably be my last post from Haiti. I don't think we will have Internet Saturday before we head north to our home in the states :) A part of me has a new home though. A place I hope to return to very soon.

But for now. Since I'm here now! Let me tell you about our adventure in tent city. There are lots of tent cities all around port au prince. These are people that were relocated after the earthquake and lived in set up tents mostly from us aid or the un.  You can sorta see tents in the back. Most are half tarp half cement structures that the poorest of the poor call home. 


We saw another 80 or so. Lots of babies and children. Lots of coughs. Diarrhea. And fever. So in turn lots of antibiotics and Tylenol. One of my favorites was a 14 day old baby. I held that thing for as long as I could. She was precious and so good. But sick with a fever... The team joked I was gonna end up sick from holding her so much, but I'm not worried. :) 

We also handed out so many clothes and shoes to these children that were literally naked and shoeless. 
This way by far the poorest place we visited. The people were desperate for anything we could give them, but kindly told us when an outfit didn't fit. It was kinda funny. The moms would also strip the few clothes their kid did have on to make them look worse. It was ridiculous but I don't blame them for trying! 
I did put shoes on a little girl that hadn't worn shoes before. I could tell, because she genuinely didn't know how to walk with them on. It was heartbreaking, but exciting at the same time for her to cover those little toes on the hard rocky ground. Laura Llew--- those are thanks to you and your girls! 

She doesn't look too happy... Haha. But I think she was just insure of what was going on. :)


Again. The kids loved the iPhone camera and seeing themselves. Always so funny the pictures they take. 



This afternoon we had a vehicle shortage so we had to wrap up the day early. We rested by the pool then bagged thousands of vitamins. I'm my exaggerating either. All of the vitamins YOU donated have to be individually packaged into counts of 15 or 30. 
By the end we've eaten several "chewy animals" and look something like this... 

Tomorrow (or today. Friday) we will wrap up our last clinic day and head into an orphanage where we plan to leave the rest of the clothes shoes and every piece of clothing we can find to kids who have a place to call home, but little else.

It's been a fast week but I'm ready to be home to the hubby. I'm so grateful for technology and being able to chat briefly every day with Ryan but nothing like being home. Haiti is a place I see myself coming back to.... And probably very soon. 

Blair Tolbert and all my Lagrange friends, this one is for you. :) #lc2005

Comments

Popular Posts