Haiti day one: Bon repos; 131 patients



We all know Haiti is poor, but I think it takes seeing it in person to realize how poor it is. Yes they live in tents, or cement block squares if they are lucky. They have tin roofs. Don't have electricity or water. But as a healthcare provider it took things like, not having tape for an iv, no otoscopes, and writing orders for things like tums and Tylenol that I realized just how little the Haitians have. A child has a fever and his ear hurts. Well I suppose it's an ear infection; here is a partial dose of amoxicillin. And we don't know your weight, but this should work. It's quite scary really. Especially managing blood pressure with a random concoction of medications that change month to month.
 Then, I'd say, 95% of patients complain of acid. Just good old heartburn. It's not too surprising. But all they need is tums! Can you imagine a life without tums!? Body aches too. Most people, myself including, have good old body aches. We just pop a few Motrin and go on without a thought... But here they wait weeks for the clinic to come back to their village to get a supply of Tylenol that will last only a few days. It's another world here, yet we are so close to the states it's really remarkable.
I truly love being here. I love medicine do much. And I have always felt a call to te underserved. Here I just feel my heart exploding with love. My eyes are opened to see and learn and my hands are ready to serve. 
Day one was amazing and I am so thrilled what the rest of the week has in store.

On a side note. My apologies (ok not really) it's graphic.  today I had to pee... In a bucket. Behind a church.  I thought my backpacking experience and growing up outside had prepared me for moments like this... But after 4 cups of coffee and a nalgene of water (read: tons of pee) I missed. Terribly. And proceeded to pee down my leg soaking my entire pants leg. Soaked. I came out, mortified, and showed the Haitian doctor, she smiled. No worries. It will dry. 
Well, yes my friends, it did. After I poured sanitizer down my leg and scrubbed it with a baby wipe. It dried. But I smelt like pee all day. 

Comments

  1. What an AWESOME experience! Can you feel my envy from all the way here in ATL?

    Love that you shared the pee story... I'm pretty sure lots of us who've had to squat now & then have had this experience...and we weren't even trying to hit a bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was adding things to my cart as I was led to, mostly baby things, but, no coincidence here, I actually bought one of those "lady stand up to pee" thingies at Gander Mtn last week (massive sale there) and now I know why! My apologies for not sending it along /^8 Blessings to you, Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing such great things :) Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts