Eden's birth story

Eden came into the world in a whirlwind. I still can't believe it happened like it did, but I am so thankful that it did! I couldn't have written a more perfect story.

The last week of my pregnancy I knew things were changing. I had strange pains, cramping, and contractions off and on. On Saturday I woke up to some serious changes. I won't go into details--- but trust me. I made a call to the doula and she reassured me that I was fine and that labor would probably start soon. That morning I just felt the need to walk, so Ryan and I did just that. We walked and walked. We decided that night to venture down to the corner of our neighborhood where a block party was going on. We enjoyed some music (okay, not really, the music was terrible, but we enjoyed watching people) and some local beer. I had a few contractions and thought hm, those are a bit stronger than normal. On the half a mile walk back home I had a couple that made me stop in my tracks. I still didn't think anything 'major' was happening, but it was. 

Like clockwork at midnight, 1am and 2am I woke up with a contraction and the need to pee. I thought it was pretty bizarre, but whatever. At 3am I realized okay, maybe something is happening. I woke up several times and looked at the clock again, 3:20. Oh man.... These contractions are pretty regular. By 4am I decided to get out of bed. I downloaded an ap (because writing down contractions seemed like too much work) and realized my contractions were 7 minutes a part. I didn't want to bother anyone so I just worked through them. I felt good. I was controlled. Calm. Breathing. Doing everything I had learned in my class. At 6am I decided I should wake up Ryan. 
In the sweetest voice I could muster up, "honey, we are going to have a baby today" I am pretty sure the response was... What?!? How do you know. 
And then I had a contraction and he realized... oh. We are having a baby. 

I kept thinking these contractions were going to stop, or slow, or just last forever. I mistakenly told my mom not to leave when I texted her at 7:30. I thought we had plenty of time. Ryan had cut up a watermelon and I was snacking on that. We had some Bon Iver playing in the background. It was really such a great environment. During these early contractions (until about 8) I was able to sleep in between contractions. Ryan and I were amazed that I would be OUT in a deep sleep for six minutes between contractions. It was amazing. 

By 8:00 my contractions  were all of a sudden 5 minutes a part. I contacted the doula and let her know what was going on. Forty minutes later I texted her again, "I think you should come, they are getting closer." It was at this point I realized oh man. This is happening fast. I couldn't walk from the living room to the bathroom (50 ft?) without having contractions. Emily, our amazing doula, called and heard me in the background have a contraction. She told Ryan she was on the way. At this point I had given up my phone. I had no idea if my mom was coming, I didn't know if anyone knew, I really don't know what was going on. We were working through contractions though. Ryan was amazing--- pushing in the right places, saying the right things- he was awesome. 

At 10:15 Emily arrived at our home, saw me and told Ryan we need to get her to the hospital. I was in very active labor. I was shaking ( I thought I was cold, she said it was the adrenaline/late labor) and couldn't walk more than a few feet without having a contraction. What in the world was I doing at home... I know. I did have a moment of panic thinking I wouldn't make it to the hospital. 

Slowly though--- we made it to the car. I think I had three contractions from my living room to the car. All the while a group of 20 somethings walked by our house. They saw me, got really quiet, and walked swiftly away. Ryan said they had a look of fear on their face. Probably never seen a woman in labor. 

Thankfully Ryan got me to the hospital safely and in a very timely manner. He got to drive super fast and run lots of red lights. He came through again with the most perfect music in the car. I will forever think of my 'labor day' when I hear the band The Head and The Heart. I am glad I have that memory :) Back to the car ride. It was awful-- other than the music. Painful. Bumps. I rode in the back gripping the car seat wishing it was over.
Once we arrived to the hospital, I realized the challenges were just beginning.  I had to get from our illegal parking spot to L&D.  I used an old technique though that came through. I looked ahead and told myself, just get to the bench. Just get to the desk. Just get to the elevator. That worked and I ended up at the L&D outpatient area.

Yay. But nay---- the only nurse I had a bad experience with, was in the triage area. This dear old nurse (I am sure) was convinced I wasn't in real labor. Despite my CONSISTENT contractions she took her damn time getting to me to check me. I mean at this point I am pushing on my own. I was having the urge-- so I went with it. Forget her. Emily told Ryan to call our doctor again since this was taking so long. The doctor promised to try and speed things up and get me a room. It was about that time the nurse walked in to check me--- the 'first time mom in labor'. Oh but did I prove her wrong. I was fully dilated and the head was coming down. 

BOOM. I was very quickly whisked away to labor and delivery where lots of nurses ran in and out and then my doctor. My favorite doctor. The one that helped us get pregnant walked in. She didn't leave either (as a nurse, I knew this was a really good thing). It was around this time I said--- oh someone. Get a camera! I want at least one picture of this please!!

The view from the delivery room was spectacular. Mountains. Bright blue sky. It was a glorious day. This picture does not do it anywhere near justice--- but at least you can see the beautiful mountains I was climbing in my head! 

So yeah. Let me recap. at 1030 I walked into the hospital. 1115 or so I was in a room pushing with my doctor. 1220 I had a baby. Yeah it was that fast. It was insane. Pushing felt like much more than an hour though. It was hard. I couldn't figure out 'how to' push, but after using the mirror I got it and pushed our beautiful crazy little girl into the world. 

The greatest words I have heard in my life, besides 'I do', were "Danielle, reach down and grab your baby." These words are the most empowering words I have heard. At this moment I grabbed my little girl and couldn't believe this had happened. I just kept saying, "I never thought this would happen. I never thought I would have a baby." It was the best moment. One I would relive over and over again. (Just the grabbing the baby outside of me part and putting her on my belly part ;) ).

She came out superman style with her hand by her head. This is likely the reason she didn't come out any sooner! (So thank goodness for that!) We had the best bonding time as our little family became 3 for an hour or so. I love Mission Hospital so much for that. No interruptions. No weight or height. No medications. Just quiet skin to skin bonding. Just Ryan, Eden and me cuddled up.
During this time, Ryan texted our families, which were all shocked that we already had her. And about an hour after the birth my mom walked in. Totally crushed that she missed the birth, but I was so so happy to see her and show her our beautiful girl. Our little Eden.

 It was crazy. I am still shocked it happened like it did, but so so happy. I loved birthing at home for so long. It was peaceful and perfect. Ryan was my hero--- perfectly helping bring this little girl into the world. We spent the day eating (oh that was me) and spending time with our wonderful families. I am so thankful that she came labor day weekend! Lots and lots of family came up to love on our sweet family. I couldn't have imagined anything better!


  1. Such a fantastic story of your miracle baby! Your face in these pictures is priceless! Congratulations!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts