The story of a quilt

I love the story of a quilt. There is something magical about creating something beautiful from a pile of fabric. I know it just sounds crazy to take perfectly beautiful fabric, cut it all up, rearrange it, then sew it all together. It is a very long process (well, for someone who doesn't get to do it every day). It takes patience, a few choice words, and then some more patience. It always pays off though. 

I happened to find out I was having a niece right around the time I found this gorgeous collection of fabric called winged. I knew this was what I wanted to make her quilt out of! 

When I got it in the mail... it looked a little like this. 
Think early spring. March maybe? 


After picking a layout/pattern first things first. 
CUT! 


Once I got my 10x10 squares picked and cut I laid them out to pick a size. 
I didn't really follow a pattern with this quilt. Just sorta went with it. I had a little inspiration, but this one was mostly just me.






I did a 10x10 square then 4 small squares, then another square. 
I really love the design and think it turned out great. 


These colors are just lovely to me! Perfect little girl--- without being childish or baby at all. 

After laying it all out and sewing... I basted it all together. 


Then for the fun part! I quilted it together. 
This was the first time I got a little 'risky' on my quilting. I made some nice waves and LOVE the way it turned out!! It added so much texture and made the quilt the perfect crinkly goodness. 


Here she is (in some pretty terrible light)


but the best part is giving it away! I believe momma loved it! 
I can't wait for baby Abby to cuddle underneath, play on top, look at the pretty birds and flowers, and know that she is always loved! 




Comments

Popular Posts