seeing christmas differently... (caution: long!)




I think a  girl in my high school Sunday school class last week said it best...
"Every year its seems like we are just supposed to get a bigger and better gift than the year before. When does it ever end?"
 
When does it end?
Hopefully for our family this year.
America spends around $450 billion dollars during the Christmas season.
It would take less than half of that to provide clean water to the world.
The amount of money Americans spend on ONE typical day on coffee alone, could save 1,000 people from slavery... yes slaves. In the world that we live in, there are over 27 million men, women and children held captive RIGHT NOW.
 
These numbers are stricking.
I think recently being in Haiti has really brought these numbers to life for me.
I could buy myself a new outfit to throw in the closet with my 30 other outfits... or I could buy a child's outfit and take it to Haiti in the spring for a naked child.
 
Our church, and our family is doing something different this year. Hopefully starting something new. Ending the "desire" for something bigger and better than last year.
Hopefully we will start consuming our Savior, rather than consuming things.

We are reading Advent Conspiracy, and discovering how we can do things differently.
 
Don't get me wrong. I'm still all about some Christmas.
the decorations. the smells. the music (OH the music!) the fun.
Oh its gonna be a Jolly Jolly Christmas!
but I am trying to see Christmas differently.
see how I can make a tiny difference in this giant scary world.


One way we will do this is by spending time together. Quality time. Enjoying each other's company. Lingering over coffee. Siting by a fire. Talking. Reading. Playing a game. Just being together.
Isn't it these kind of moments that we remember anyway?

 
 
One very Christmasy actiivty we ok... I REALLY enjoyed (ryan not nearly as much) was going to the Grove Park Inn and checking out the awesome Ginger Bread Houses from all over the world!
The National Competition is being held right now and is on display.
It was a cold cozy night that we topped off by a giant fire and relaxing with friends.
 

 
((yup. thats all edible!))



We recently hosted an Open House where we welcomed neighbors, friends, and church goers to stop by for coffee and cookies.
It was such a fun afternoon! Lots of people stopped by, and these cookies... WoAH. They were awesome.
We also used this time to collect can goods, and write cards of love for people who will be working on Christmas Eve. My amazing hubby and ANYONE that wants to join! ((hint hint)) will be delivering cookies and cards to workers all over Canton on Christmas Eve. He is such a stud.
((i'll be taking a bag of the homemade cookies with me to work!))




(yes. we made these)

Another hope this year is to find Joy in the smaller things this year. To enjoy small moments. To be thankful for all that we have. And to find new ways to Worship the King.

Our tree this year, is a skimpy cheap thing we found... but it serves the purpose of bringing a little magic into our home. Our "real tree" this year is a giant tree out of canned goods! Instead of spending 40-50$ on a beautiful big tree that we cut down off a mountain, we have bought canned good and pilled them up to look like a tree! We will be collecting them all month, and then taking them to a community kitchen where dinner is served nightly for anyone in need. Have you bought 40$ in cans before? Thats a TON of food. It's so easy to do--- and such a better way to spend our money.


This beautiful blanket... that I just LOVE was found at a small little shop raising money for a family trying to adopt a child from China. Its something I hope to treasure for years to come, and cuddle up with on cold winter nights, but when that baby is brought home, I can't wait to be reminding of their beautiful face. Lets be honest--- this is so much cozier than a Christmas blanket found at Target.
(great little shops like this can be found on etsy and instagram... believe it or not!)


Oh. and gifts.
I do gift shopping different than most anyway. I'm one of those people that shops all year. Like I bought my mom and Sara a gift the week after Christmas last year that I've been holding on to all year. so.... I have a lot of "gifts" that are already  ready to go before we decided to do things different... but our priority this year is homemade. local. supporting great causes. or cheap. ((like a couple bucks cheap. this is how my year round shopping will fit the rules! i bought 34$ board games for 1$ this summer... yeah. im pumped about that too)) anyway. games support family time so that makes it good too! ;)
 



so for homemade gifts...  im crocheting. lots of little things. Most to go along with some homemade things that my coworkers made!!

The gifts I do give that were purchased at bigger stores... I am making them intentional.
Things people really want or things they will really use and love.
 
Gifts is my love language. I genuinely LOVE giving people things. ...ask my husband. I buy him random STUFF all the time.
::read batman figures, and candy bars, and toys and weird books::

Now to take my love language and making it more intentional will be my goal.
 
ok. I'll wrap things up now.
It snowed already.
I loved it.
 
 

(Mowgli, the little dog did not)
 
 
 
and we spent an evening at the biltmore.
it was magical.
and cold and rainy and horrible weather....
but mostly, it was magical. 

 
I love this man so much.
I'm proud of him... and his sermon last week on Joseph. About-worshiping differenly during advent... woah buddy. It was a good one. I admire him so much. I love watching him love on the congregation. And seeing God speak through him is absolutely powerful.
 
I'm blessed to call this life.
 
oh and back to Christmas...
I'm excited to see things differently this year.
My daily prayer is to worship Him more fully this year... and to love others better.
 
Join me in doing things different. Please don't send me a present. How about some baby clothes to take to Haiti? Or perhaps a canned good for our tree? If you insist, how about a gift card for my family to do something together. Dinner. Drinks. Quality time. Thats so much better.
OR things that we actually need... like a shovel. or a ladder. we have NO tools and thats something that people find quite useful for life. haha.
saw. sander. ladder. much more useful than a sweater or shoes. :)


Comments

Popular Posts